You are currently viewing Here’s everything you need to know about UK Spouse/Partner Visa:

Here’s everything you need to know about UK Spouse/Partner Visa:

When do you need one?

  • You need a family visa to live with a family member (i.e. a spouse or partner visa, fiancée, fiancée or proposed civil partner, child, parent, a relative who’ll provide long-term care for you) in the UK for more than 6 months.
  • For stays of 6 months or less, you may need a Standard Visitor Visa or a Marriage Visitor Visa.

Who can apply?

As an adult, you may apply as a spouse or partner, a child, or a parent for visa.

Who cannot apply?

  • Those on a work or student visa cannot apply for a UK Spouse Visa or family visa. You can apply to stay with them as a dependant instead.
  • If you have a visitor visa or a visa for 6 months or less
  • However, you might be able to switch to a family visa in the UK if you have either a 6-month family visa as a fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner; permission to stay in the UK for the outcome of a family court case or divorce.

Applying for visa as a partner or spouse:

Requirements and proof:

  • Both parties need to be 18 years and over.
Your partner must be either:
  • A British or Irish citizen.
  • Settled in UK- indefinite leave to remain, settled status or proof of permanent residence.
  • Be from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein and have pre settled status.
  • Have a Turkish Businessperson Visa or Turkish Worker Visa or.
  • Have refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK.
  • And both parties must intend to live together permanently in the UK after you apply.
  • In the UK, you are in a civil partnership or married.
  • You’ve been living together in a relationship for at least 2 years when you apply.
  • You are a fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner. And will marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of arriving.
  • Have a good knowledge of English which is proved by either having an academic qualification. English-taught or researched degrees and academic qualifications; if the qualification is from a UK university you only need the degree; if the qualification is from outside the UK you’ll need to provide a certificate from UK NARIC or by taking an approved English language test with at least
  • CEFR level A1 in speaking and listening, subject to certain exception such as :
    • If you cannot take an English language test because of coronavirus (COVID-19),
    • If you a National of one of the following countries:-  Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, the Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Malta, New Zealand, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, USA.
  • Can financially support yourself and your dependents as evidenced by your proof of income. As per the minimum income requirement that is you and your partner must have a combined income of at least £18,600 a year or savings. And you must prove you have extra money. If you have children who are not British or Irish citizens or do not have pre-settled status or who are not permanently settled in the UK or do not have permanent residence status or document.

If you’re applying as a fiancé, fiancée, or proposed civil partner

You must prove that:

  • Any previous marriages or civil partnerships have ended
  • You plan to marry or become civil partners within 6 months of arriving in the UK


If you do not meet these requirements you may still be able to apply for a visa or extend your permission to stay if:

  • It is your child’s citizenship or that he has lived in the UK for 7 years. And it would be unreasonable for them to leave the UK.
  • Living outside the UK together would hamper your relationship.
  • it would breach your human rights to stop you coming to the UK or make you leave.


How much it costs depends on how you apply, where you apply, are you applying only for your spouse or partner or are you adding dependents?

  • A UK application costs £1033, and a foreign application costs $1523.
  • The cost to add each dependent to the application outside the UK would be £1533. And the cost within the UK would be £1033.
  • An adult who needs to have a relative take care of them would cost £3250 abroad and £1033 inside the UK.
  • A visa extension or a switch would cost you £19.29 for biometric information (fingers and a photo).
  • It might be possible to pay an extra £800 to get a super-priority decision.

If you cannot pay the fee you can fill in the online fee waiver request form subject to its prerequisites being met.

Time of decision

  • If you have applied outside the UK it will usually take 12 weeks and if you have applied within the UK it will usually take  8 weeks.
  • Depending on whether you have selected the super priority service or not, a decision will be made within 2 working days.
  • If your application fails the minimum income requirement or you cannot prove that you know English, or you need to attend an interview, or if you have not provided all the relevant documents, you could face a longer wait.

Duration of Stay

However, On this Visa, you can stay in the UK for 2 years and 9 months. If you’re applying as a fiancé, fiancee, or proposed civil partner, you can stay for 6 months. If you extend your family visa or switch to this visa you can stay in the UK for 2 years and 6 months.

Other Information you must provide

You’ll need to have information and some evidence ready when you make your application such as your names, email address, dates of birth, passports and ID’s, visa entry stamps, biometric residence permits, previous immigration details, national insurance number, nationality, right to be in the UK, certified translation of any document not in English or Welsh, medical tests if required, evidence of marriage subsisting or ending, anyone your partner supports with money, proof of current relationship, proof of previous partners if any, details of children if any and details of the countries you’ve lived in and visited outside the UK, family, and friends in the countries where you were born or have a nationality, Proof of income by bank statements or 6 months of payslips or a letter from an employer, dated and on headed paper confirming the relevant required details.

Post application procedure for UK Spouse/Partner Visa:

Finally, after you apply you’ll need to attend an appointment to provide your biometric information (fingerprints and a photo). A biometric residence permit enables you to live, work, study in the U.K. if your application is approved. However you cannot work or study if you’re applying for a visa or extending your stay to get married or become civil partners, you are also not usually entitled to benefits or other public funds for you and your dependents until you are eligible.

For expert assistance regarding applying for a partner or a spouse visa, contact or WhatsApp us on 07583452230 and we can connect you to the right immigration law professional. Visit to find out more about how we can help you with our other business services, check our 5-star testimonials and watch our YouTube channel or listen to our podcasts. If you find this information useful, please follow our social media platforms, like, and share.

Reina D'costa

Dual qualified, experienced, practical and proactive solicitor. Founder of Bizlaw UK, a new model legal service consultancy.