Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

What is the UK Investor Visa?

  • Today we discuss the UK Investor Visa and how you can move to the U.K. on this visa along with your family if you fulfill the criteria required. The UK immigration system offers a number of visa routes for experienced and prospective entrepreneurs and high-net-worth individuals. The UK Investor visa is one of those routes. The most common routes for entrepreneurs setting up their own businesses or working for an overseas company’s UK branch or subsidiary are innovator and sole rep business visas and we have guidance on those options too. The Tier 1 Investor route discussed here is an alternative business category.

What is the Investor Visa (Tier 1)?

  • Entrepreneurs who are willing to invest at least £2 million of their own funds in the UK registered, active, and trading company or companies may find the Tier 1 Investor visa to be the most flexible and attractive visa status to hold. High-net-worth individuals living outside the UK or in other non-EU countries who wish to invest significantly in the UK are eligible to apply for Tier 1 Investor visas.
  • Under the Tier 1 visa, a person can study, work, or engage in business activities in the UK. They also have the liberty to bring their dependents into the country. A typical Tier 1 Investor visa leads to settlement in the UK after the completion of a five-year period. As per UK immigration laws, additional investment can accelerate the settlement period.

What are the requirements for UK Investor visa?

To qualify for tier 1 UK Investor Visa you must have,

  • Firstly you should be 18 years of age or over.
  • Invest at least £2,000,000 in the UK.
  • You need to have a current passport or other valid travel identification so that you can apply for this visa.
  • Open an account with a UK-regulated bank.
  • At the time of application, you must pay £1,561 plus healthcare surcharges.
  • Ensure investments are in share capital or loan capital in active and trading UK registered companies or pooled investments that receive funding from the UK or devolved a government department or one of its agencies.
  • Have no criminal record certificate from any country you have stayed in for a total of 12 months or more over the last 10 years.
  • A tuberculosis test result is a must for the UK Invetsor visa.
  • In order to avoid exceeding the $2 million limit, ensure that invested cash is not used to pay management fees, transaction expenses, or taxes on investments purchased and sold.
  • Remove for use only interest and dividends from the investment.
  • Evidence of Investment funds.

An applicant for a Tier 1 Investor visa must make a qualifying investment within 90 days of entering the UK. In the event of a loss, new investments need to be bought to make up for the loss during the duration of the visa. Funds invested through a trust or an offshore company, or companies that engage mainly in property-related investment ventures including property development and management would not count as an investment under the Tier 1 Visa requirements. You will need to provide evidence showing that you have the required investment funds.

If you are using your own money to invest, you should be able to show-

  • It’s important to know where dirty money is and how much, so that you don’t invest that with U.K. Investor visa.
  • You must know where the money came from if you have had the money for less than 2 years, for example, you inherited it from a relative or a sale or divorce settlement or prize.
  • (If not already in Britain) you can transfer the money to the U.K. and convert it to Pound Sterling.
  • If you are using your partner’s money to invest, you should be able to show-
  • a certificate of marriage or civil partnership, or in the case of unmarried or same-sex relationships, proof that you are in a long-term relationship (at least 2 years).
  • You also need a statement from your partner confirming that they will allow you to control the funds in the UK.
  • A letter from a legal adviser stating that the declaration is valid is a must.

What is the Process for UK Investor visa?

  • You can apply for Tier 1 visa online. You must pay the Govt fee of £1,623 to apply for this visa plus the solicitors or immigration advisors fee. It costs the same to extend or switch visas, or additionally to apply as a family member. You will also need to have your fingerprints and photograph taken at a visa application center (to get a biometric residence permit) as part of your application. The initial visa is valid for three years and four months, and when eligibility requirements are met, the duration can be extended by a further 2 years and indefinite leave applied for after that.
  • All adults in your home must be registered with the police within three months of receiving your investor visa. You must include all your dependants in your application. Your children must still be financially dependent on you if they turned 18 during the initial visa period.

Extending your UK Investor Visa

You can apply to extend your visa if you:

  • You must control at least £2,000,000 in the UK.
  • Have invested those funds in share capital or loan capital in active UK companies.
  • Invested this sum within 3 months of your investor start date.
  • You must pay £1,623 to extend this visa, as well as the healthcare surcharges.
  • Finally the applications will take 8 weeks date (standard service) and 5 working days (priority service).

Tier 1 Investor visa is one of the easiest visas to get. You do not need to prove your knowledge of English. Neither do you need to demonstrate where you studied or worked or show maintenance funds. You can bring all your immediate family members, including your spouse and children. You and your family will be allowed either study, work, run a business in the UK.

For expert assistance regarding this complex U.K. Investor Visa so as not to be in breach and be connected to a wealth management company, we can help. Or for any other visa for the U.K.if you dont qualify for this visa, contact or WhatsApp us on 07583452230. Visit to find out more about how we can help you with our other services. If you find this information useful, please like and share it.