Bizlaw U.K.- Your Legal and Business Services Consultancy!
Today we discuss the UK Sole Representative Visa and how you can move to the U.K. on this visa along with your family if you fulfil the criteria required.


Eligibility and Requirements
• You can apply as a representative of an overseas business if you either:
i. Are the sole representative of an overseas business planning to set up either a UK branch or wholly-owned subsidiary; or
ii. an employee of an overseas newspaper, news agency, or broadcasting organization posted on a long-term assignment to the UK
• You must be able to support yourself financially without help from the public funds proved by providing bank statements or payslips for the last 6 months.
• You must have good knowledge of English which is proved by either having an academic qualification- a degree or academic qualification that was taught or researched in English and is recognized by UK NARIC as being equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, or Ph.D.; or by passing an approved English language test with at least CEFR level A1 in speaking and listening, subject to an exception (i) If you a National of one of the following countries:- Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, the Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, New Zealand, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad, and Tobago, USA.
• You must provide a passport or other valid travel identification, (the passport would need to have a blank page on which to put the visa if you are applying from overseas).
• If you are applying as a sole representative you must be working full time for the business and will not carry out any other work, have the skills, experience, and knowledge to do the role, be recruited and employed outside the UK by an active and trading business (whose headquarters and principal place of business are, and will remain, outside the UK), hold a senior position and have full authority to make a decision on its behalf but must not own or control the majority of the business, provide evidence that you are directly employed by the business and are not acting as a sales agent, seek to establish the first commercial presence of the business overseas in the UK, either as a registered branch or a wholly-owned subsidiary.
• As a sole representative you will also need to provide a full description of the business’s activities, including details of assets and accounts, your job description, employment contract and salary details, a letter confirming you’re familiar with the business and have the power to make operational decisions.
• If you are an employee of an overseas newspaper, news agency, or broadcasting organization, you can come to the UK if you’re being posted here on a long term assignment and must provide a full description of the parent company’s activities, including details of assets and accounts.
• If you are applying from overseas you will need to provide details of where you’ll be staying during your stay, your tuberculosis test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test.
• You must provide certified translations of any documents that are not in English or Welsh.
Conditions upon receipt of visa
• You can work for your employer, full time, bring your family (dependents) to the UK, and apply to extend your visa and apply for settled status after you have been here for 5 years.
• You cannot work for yourself or any other business, stay in the UK if the sole representative arrangement is ended by your employer, switch to this visa from any other visa category, and apply to get public funds.
Process of application
• All applications are to be made online.
• The earliest you can apply is 3 months before your travel
• If you are applying outside the UK you will need to have your fingerprints and photograph (known as ‘biometric information’) taken at a visa application center as part of your application.
• If you are applying within the UK you will need to make an appointment at a UK Visa and Citizenship application services (UKVCAS) service point to provide your biometric information and submit supporting documents by either uploading them into the online service or having them scanned at your UKVCAS appointment. You must also not travel outside the UK, Ireland, the Channel Islands, or the Isle of Man until you get a decision, or your application will be liable to be withdrawn if you do so.
• A decision will be made within 8 weeks if you apply from inside the UK and within 3 weeks when you apply from outside the UK. It might take longer if for e.g. there are additional documents required, the need to attend an interview, or because of your personal circumstances.

Extension of Visa

• You can apply to extend your visa before it expires.
• You must be in the UK to extend your visa
• The application has to include any dependents who are on your current visa including children.
• You must be working for the same employer as you were when you were issued the visa
• You have established and are supervising a UK branch or subsidiary of the overseas business
• Your employer’s principal place of business is still outside the UK.

Duration of Visa

A Representative of an Overseas Business Visa is usually granted for up to 3 years and can be extended for 2 years. You can apply for settled status once you have been residing in the UK for 5 years.


If you apply from outside the UK, the visa costs £610, if you apply from inside the UK the visa costs £704. Additionally, you will also need to pay the healthcare surcharge and £19.20 to have your biometric information taken.

Getting Help to make an application

For expert assistance regarding applying for a Representative of an Overseas Business Visa, contact or WhatsApp us on 07583452230 and we can connect you to the right professional. Visit to find out more about how we can help you with our other services. If you find this information useful, please follow our social media platforms, like and share it.

Subscribe for updates.