Bizlaw U.K.- Your Legal and Business Services Consultancy!
Today we discuss the overseas business Representative Visa and how you can move to the U.K.. On this visa along with your family if you fulfill the criteria required.

Eligibility and Requirements for Business visa

  • You can apply as a representative of an overseas business visa if you either:
    • Are the sole representative of an overseas business planning to set up either a UK branch or wholly-owned subsidiary; or
    • An employee of an overseas newspaper, news agency, or broadcasting organization posted on a long-term assignment to the UK
  • A bank statement or payslip demonstrating your financial ability to sustain oneself for the previous six months is necessary.
  • You must have an excellent command of the English language, as evidenced by an academic qualification- a degree or academic qualification that was taught or researched in English and is recognized by UK NARIC as being equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, or Ph.D.. Or by passing an approved English language test with at least CEFR level A1 in speaking and listening, subject to an exception:
    • If you a National of one of the following countries:- Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, the Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, New Zealand, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad, and Tobago, USA.
  • You must provide a passport or other valid travel identification. (Applicants from abroad would need a blank page in their passport for the visa).

Sole representative Applicant

  • If you are applying as a sole representative you must be working full time for the business. And will not carry out any other work, have the skills, experience, and knowledge to do the role, be recruited and employed outside the UK by an active and trading business (whose headquarters and principal place of business are, and will remain, outside the UK). Own or control the majority of the business in a senior position, but not own the company. Provide proof that you work for the business and not as a salesperson. Assemble a team to establish a UK presence, in either the form of a foreign branch or wholly owned subsidiary.
  • As a sole representative, you must also provide a full description of the company’s activities, including its assets and accounts. Your job description, employment contract, and salary details, and a letter appending your contact information.

Overseas business visa

  • If you are an employee of an overseas newspaper, news agency, or broadcasting organization, you can come to the UK if you’re being posted here on a long term assignment and must provide a full description of the parent company’s activities, including details of assets and accounts.
  • You will have to provide information on where you will live while you are overseas, as well as your tuberculosis test results. If you come from a country where you have to take the test.
  • In addition to this you must provide certified translations of any documents that are not in English or Welsh.

Conditions upon receipt of visa

  • You can work for your employer, full time, bring your family (dependents) to the UK, and apply to extend your visa and apply for settled status after you have been here for 5 years.
  • You are unable to work for yourself or any other firm, stay in the UK if your employer terminates your single representative agreement, move to this visa from any other visa category, or apply for public funding.

Process of application

  • The application process is online only.
  • The earliest you can apply is 3 months before your travel
  • When applying outside the UK, you must provide your fingerprints and photo (known as ‘biometric information’) at a visa application center.
  • You will need an appointment to provide your biometric information if you are applying from within the United Kingdom (UK). And submit supporting documents by either uploading them into the online service or having them scanned at your UKVCAS appointment. We will withdraw your application if you leave the UK, Ireland, the Channel Islands, or the Isle of Man until we contact you.
  • You can expect a decision within 8 weeks if you’re applying from the UK, and within 3 weeks if you’re applying elsewhere. It might take longer. For e.g. In addition, as a result of your personal circumstances, additional documentation might be required.

Extension of Visa

  • You can apply to extend your visa before it expires.
  • You must be in the UK to extend your visa.
  • The application has to include any dependents who are on your current visa including children.
  • To continue working on the same visa, you must remain with the same employer.
  • You have established and are supervising a UK branch or subsidiary of the overseas business.
  • Your employer’s principal place of business is still outside the UK.

Duration of Visa

  • A two-year extension is usually granted on Business Representative Visas, which are usually issued for three years. You can apply for settled status once you have been residing in the UK for 5 years.


  • Visas cost £610 if you apply from outside the UK, and £704 if you apply inside the UK. Additionally, you will also need to pay the healthcare surcharge and £19.20 to have your biometric information take.

Getting Help to make an application

For expert assistance regarding applying for a Representative of an Overseas Business visa, contact or WhatsApp us on 07583452230 and we can connect you to the right immigration law professional. Visit to find out more about how we can help you with our other business services, check our 5-star testimonials and watch our Youtube channel or listen to our podcasts. If you find this information useful, please follow our social media platforms, like, and share.